Dear Friends & Family,
We talk a lot about prayer at St. Thomas and so I wanted to send you some specific ideas as we wrap up 2021 and move into the New Year. And for those of you with children or grand-children, I thought this was an especially poignant list as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ this Christmas. What better gift is there to give than prayer for those whom we love?
Marshall Segal published an article at DesiringGod.org called Seven Prayers for Those You Love. Here’s the link to the full article, but the seven items are below. I thought these were great.
1. Open their eyes even wider to you. (Ephesians 1:15 - 18)
2. Fill their hearts with love for others. (Philippians 1:9- 11)
3. Teach them the wisdom of your will (Colossians 1:9-10)
4. Give them boldness to speak about Jesus. (Colossians 4:2 - 4)
5. Send them good friends in the faith. (1 Thessalonians 3:9-10)
6. Protect them from enemies of their soul. (2 Thessalonians 3:1 - 2)
7. Make Jesus look good with their life. (2 Thessalonians 1:11 - 12)
Why don’t you print out this list and pray one of these prayers each day for the next week for the loved ones in your life -- for family, friends, neighbors, and others God places on your heart?
I imagine Mary and Joseph had many prayers for their newborn child, as all parents do! Certainly, one of the most important things you can do for your children, grand-children, and loved ones is to pray for them. A praying person is truly a powerful influence.
My constant prayer for each of you is that worship of Jesus, our Lord and Savior -- born in a humble manger but whose destiny was to give his life so that all might experience a reconciled life with God -- would be central to your faith and life. I truly look forward to worshipping with you this Christmas and throughout this next year.
Our Christmas Eve Services Times:
- 5 PM Family Service (45 minute service) with engaging drama and lots of Christmas carols. Child care available.
- 7 PM Contemporary Service with Holy Communion, Candlelight, Children's Message, and Praise Band. Child care available.
- 9 PM Traditional Service with Holy Communion, Candlelight, Handbell and Chancel Choirs