There are hundreds of opportunities to serve at the church, whether it's a newcomer ministry, music, setup & teardown at our Haymarket campus, etc. The opportunities listed for each campus are just a sample of them. If you don't see something that fits your talents and gifts, contact the church office to help find the right fit!
Our first impression on new visitors begins at the door... literally! We are always looking for new volunteers to help with newcomer ministry. Check out the opportunities available and let us know if you are interested:
Short-Term Volunteers Needed in Children's Ministry.
If you can help, please contact the church office at 703 368-5161.
PLEASE PRAY ABOUT POSSIBLY SERVING SHORT-TERM IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES:
- Sunday School Teachers - Teach one hour on Sunday mornings. Lessons provided.
- Sunday School Greeters: A greeter is needed for approximately 25 minutes at the beginning of both the 9:40 and 11 am services to help the children pick up their name tags and find their classrooms and teachers. (Two individuals, one for each service, approximately 25 minutes).
- Weekly Attendance Recorder: Each week the class rosters need to be reviewed and each child's attendance tabulated. (One individual, 1 hour each week, does not need to be done at any particular time as long as results are given to church secretary in time to be included in the weekly bulletin).
- Classroom Set-Up: Four classrooms need to be "readied" every Sunday morning with materials set out for each week's lessons, ready for teachers. (One person, 30 minutes each week, prior to 9:40 am Sunday School).
- Classroom Clean-Up: Classroom tables need to be wiped down, chairs need to be stacked, and any major debris picked up/swept up under tables. (15-20 minutes each week following the 9:40 am Sunday School time - elementary classrooms only).
- Weekly Lesson Craft Preparations: 2 or 3 volunteers needed to make up the team- tasks include cutting out paper shapes, making photocopies, gathering glue and other craft supplies from the supply closet so that teachers have everything they need when they arrive Sunday morning. This task can be done at a time convenient to volunteers.
- Nursery Volunteers: One volunteer is needed at each of our 3 weekly services - 8:15 am, 9:40 am, and 11:00 am. - to be our paid nursery worker's 2nd pair of hands.
For more information about any of these roles, contact Nancy Forrest, our Children's Council Chair, at 540-409-6555.
FOOD PANTRY MINISTRY
The Food Pantry opened its doors on March 17, 2007 and has been in continuous operation since then. We are members of the Capital Area Food Bank and are able to purchase food there at lower prices. We also pick up food every day from local grocery stores.
The Pantry is open every Saturday morning from 9:00 to 11:30 am. We give food to between 50 and 100 families each week. Families can come one time a month. We give canned goods, cereal, pasta, rice etc., as well as fresh produce, some deli items and meat.
The Food Pantry needs help every day of the week. If you are interested in volunteering, we always need help in the following areas:
- Pick up food from grocery stores: Pick ups are in the morning, usually between 8:00 and 10:00 am depending upon the store. We pick up seven days per week.
- Work in the pantry putting away we have picked up, shelving food, "bagging food" purchased in bulk, cleaning, etc. Monday through Friday, usually around 12:00 noon.
- Assist with food pick up at Lorton on Thursday morning. We need people with pickup trucks or vans to assist with picking up the groceries.
- Assist with Saturday morning food distribution. We need 15 to 17 people each week:
- Four to five people at the Old Church Building. We have three to four additional volunteers at the church who also receive food from the pantry. At the old church, we need at least one person who speaks Spanish and two computer volunteers.
- 11 to 12 down at the "shed" to pack up the food and give it to the people.
The Food Pantry is a member of the Capital Area Foodbank.